juandajdj

Re: electroplating on aluminum

Hello to all

We need electroplating aluminum busbars and copper busbars with tin (tin plating).  somebody has experience and can give some recommendation me

We need equipment and chemical products

thanks

michael hoke

can you use ni.?? i have plated bussbar & flight bars both & works great to keep contamination down

Labrat

I would recommend speaking with a rep from your chemical vendor about the complete set-up of your operation. The alloy of the aluminum can often dictate the pre-treatment method needed before plating your aluminum. For example, you may need an acidic cleaner rather than alkaline, may need to double zincate rather than single, may or may not need to alkaline etch then desmut. After the zincate layer has been applied, there are alternatives here as well. Some shops encapsulte the zincate with a cyanide cooper strike, then tin - some begin with a double nickel (sulfamate nickel / bright nickel / tin), some begin with an electroless nickel strike.
Since you will be purchasing the supplies from a vendor, let them help you with the homework. An experienced tech service rep from a reputable supplier will be able to help you make the best decisions with the complete set-up of your operation.

Dedalus

The problem with using Al in the application you speak of is that there's a fair amount of abrasion in service, what with anode baskets being shifted, work being racked, etc. Since the substrate Al is fairly soft, any coating you put on it is liable to crack, exposing the Al to whatever corrosive mist/fume/vapor that's coming off the bath. Now, it creeps in through that crack, undermines whatever plating you put on the busbar, it peels off like gangbusters, and you have a mess.

Copper is much less chemically active. Easier to plate, too. Hit it with a good, thick, low stress nickel coating, like you get from a well maintained sulfamate bath. Then, tin on top. It's soft, it will make good contact...when you start seeing bare nickel, re-tin the busbars.

Paul Ruther

Hi juandajdj, I would recommend that you find an established firm, as there are so many three and four letter government bureaucracies that will have you jumping through hoops, bending over forwards, and backwards.

You have no idea of the headaches that are about to come your way, if you attempt the plating yourself.

For the corrosion issue, find a shop that does thin dense hard chrome directly on the alumium and copper; that is no nickel under coating.

Paul

Terry

We are experienced in Electroplating on Aluminium Alloy and Copper Bus Bar for electronics and semi-conductors industries for 25 years, and meeting high temperature test requirement. Please contact terry@precistechmfg.com or www.precistechmfg.com for details

No. 2, SLK Selat Selatan 21A,
Taman Perindustrian Sobena Jaya,
Pandamaran, 42000 Port Klang,
Selangor, Malaysia

Tel:   (603) 3167 3822
         (603) 3167 3866    
Fax:   (603) 3167 3966