hammerhead

Topic: Iron Phosphate Removal

Is there a way to remove iron phosphate from mild steel in order to apply a high temp powder ?

SFA

Re: Iron Phosphate Removal

20% HCL should do the trick.

DustinGebhardt

I'm just curious. Why would you want to remove the phosphate before painting?

-Dustin Gebhardt, CEF

Advanced Manufacturing/Finishing Engineer

Moen

Sanford, NC

hammerhead

DustinGebhardt wrote:

I'm just curious. Why would you want to remove the phosphate before painting?

As I understand it Hi temp powders specify that you do not use phosphate. My interior oven panels are mild steel that has been phosphate treated. The manufacturer of the oven suggested I powder them with hi temp silver

skip

Hammerhead writes:

"My interior oven panels are mild steel that has been phosphate treated. The manufacturer of the oven suggested I powder them with hi temp silver."

Come on! How are you going to do that? P.coat the oven from the inside using a 'frit', a porcelain like substitute. Begs the question how hot IS this oven anyway? Nope.

I find this odd. Being black iron oven panels on the inside of the oven to start with. Iron Phosphated or not. Why didn't the oven mfg finish the job and paint the I.S. of the oven panels? B.R. [Before Rust]

Mild steel or also called black iron panels don't belong inside an oven IMHO.

Every oven I have ever built for a company has been with Ryerson Aluminized sheet steel, both sides, rolled, and tongue and grooved. Usually with 3" or 4" or 6" inches of 4 lb density mineral rock wool for walls and roofs. The floor panels are a wee bit heftier using 6 lb density and 20 ga. Some times I'll pour an insulated cement floor of 4:1; cement and vermiculite and a bit of liquid soap.

Purchase new oven panels, save your money buying high temperature silver paint.

skip.

Last edited by skip (12/11/2009 - 08:06 PM)

Your Best Finish Starts Here

TanjaBR76

Try cleaning Pepsi.Just dip into the liquid and leave for 30 minutes =)

yehudad

Every Organic Acid can remover Iron Phosphate coating .Personally I prefer Phosphoric Acid 10-15% percent concentration.

Note : Iron Phosphate is one of the best metal preperation before Powder Coating paint

DustinGebhardt

Do you mean inorganic acids? Phosphoric acid is an inorganic acid. It does not contain carbon. Organic acids include acetic acid, ascorbic acid, oxalic acid, and various tannic acids (yummy iced tea!).

-Dustin

-Dustin Gebhardt, CEF

Advanced Manufacturing/Finishing Engineer

Moen

Sanford, NC

kevinbrown10

I think SFA replied to this absolutely correct and according to me HCL would be pretty fine to utilize for this purpose.Also, I don't think that phosphoric acid can remove phosphate.