Barb

Topic: Boric acid consumption in nickel plating tank

We have a nickel sulfamate tank which showed a significant drop in boric acid concentration in a matter of a few days. It went from 36 g/L to 30 g/L and we are not sure why. The pH is stable but the nickel concentration also dropped. Are the nickel and boric drops coincidental or consequential?  Has anyone seen this kind of drop before? I'm not as concerned about the nickel concentration drop because we are aware of the cause of that. More concerned about the boric. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.....

DustinGebhardt

Re: Boric acid consumption in nickel plating tank

Since boric acid is not plated out, the concentration should only drop via solution loss. The main form of solution loss is drag-out. A leaking tank can, of course, drop the boric concentration as you fill the tank back up with water, etc. In fact, tracking the boric acid loss is a very useful way to track your drag-out amount, if a person were interested in such knowledge.

Is this a new situation? Is the loss of nickel proportional to the loss of the boric acid? Is the bath level the same? Have you thrown out any solution, like during a filter change or routine PM?

-Dustin Gebhardt, CEF

Advanced Manufacturing/Finishing Engineer

Moen

Sanford, NC

Dr. A.

I suspect that if you know the reason for your concentration drop, then you also have found the reason for your boric acid drop.

Barb

Well, what we thought was the reason for the nickel drop didn't exist. We thought it might be the growth of a nickel tree from a busted anode bag as we saw that in another tank. But there was no growth. There is a small leak in the towers of the tank but we would have to lose a pretty massive amount in order to decrease the nickel and boric enough to need the large adds. I made pretty large nickel sulfamate and boric acid adds yesterday. Today the nickel concentration is up slightly, although not what I would expect after the large add I made. And the boric acid concentration is the same as yesterday, which is to say it's too low. There is not a whole lot of work coming out of the tank so drag out is not really an issue either. Our guys are pretty good about letting the mandrel drain before taking it away from the tank, too. I realize that we are losing some chemistry because of the leak but from my calculation we would have to lose around 13 gallons to account for the nickel drop and 33 gallons to account for the boric drop. Again, I really appreciate the help!

DustinGebhardt

Boric acid can sometimes take several days to fully dissolve, so keep that in mind when you make your adds and when you run your analysis.

How are you testing for the boric? Most boric acid tests are really pH tests. Therefore, if your bath's pH has changed between tests, this can throw off your result. Likewise, the solution level of the bath and ensuring that the bath is fully mixed can change the results.

-Dustin Gebhardt, CEF

Moen

Sanford, NC

platermike

Had some experience with temperature drops that can cause the Boric acid to crystalize out as well.

Dr. A.

How does your finish look? Is it darker?  Is it rougher? How do your anodes look? Are they black? Are there enough anodes in the baskets? How are the anode bags? Have they been cleaned recently? How is your anode to cathode ratio?

Are your titrants made correctly? (Might seem like a silly question, but we did get a bad titrant many years ago before we made our own).

If what you are saying is accurate, the nickel and boric are going somewhere. If the nickel is not leaking out of the tanks, as seems to be the case from here, then I would believe that it is being depleted from solution without being replaced.I can't think of a reason other than solution leaking out and a temperature drop that would cause the boric level to drop.

Do you have an auto-fill? Could the solution be leaking out somewhere and the tank is automatically refilled with water? This would keep the solution level the same but decrease the concentration.

Where is your pH?  Is it increasing?

Hope this helps a little.

Barb

Thank you for all your help.

We had a new type of anode shipped to us back in June. The supplier said our usual anode was out of stock and they swore this new one was the same as our usual. I almost think that the source of our problems can be traced back to the usage of these anodes. We have been experiencing pitting and pinholes in increased amounts. I sent the new anodes and our usual anodes out for analysis and it showed that the carbon level is 10 times greater in the new ones (0.027% vs 0.002%).  The carbon amount in the new is about twice as much as their C of A states. The sulfur content is about the same at 0.0033% vs 0.0029%.  However, I always thought that the sulfur amount should be closer to 0.0002% for electrolytic anodes. I know they don't have as much sulfur as depolarized anodes but still more than expected in each.  Both types of anodes were soaking in sulfamic acid so I suppose that is where the excess sulfur could come from (?). The new anodes also crush into a black substance much too easily when packed in the cells. This has the anode bags looking very black on the inside of them even though they were just changed within the last month. Could this be from the excess carbon? I also know that if the anodes aren't working correctly that nickel could be drawn out of solution. I've noticed that the pH isn't raising as much from day to day and the surface tension is increasing more often than normal so more wetter has to be added.

I think this may have answered some of Dr. A's questions about product quality, anode bag appearance, and pH. Also, the baskets are full and get packed down often. That is when the operator sees a black cloud coming up from the anode area.

So could that amount of excess carbon be a problem in plating?

Thank you so much for all of your help!

DustinGebhardt

You may want to be careful packing the anode baskets. I've seen a few instances where the anodes polarize AFTER doing this. I assume this is because the smut coating the old anodes doesn't allow for efficient current flow and allows the anodes to passivate.

Also, if you are seeing a black cloud while doing this, it sounds like your anode bags are not functioning correctly. The anode bags are designed to prevent smut and debris from entering the plating solution. This fine debris could be the source of your pitting and pinholes. This could also potentially cause you to use more wetter, especially if you use a dispersant type.What type of filtration do you have on this bath? How many turns per hours? What is the filter media size rating?

You say that the anode bags were changed in the last month but they look black. I would suspect that you have some carbon issues, which can clog and blind the bags.When this happens, current flow can be reduced and the dissolved nickel in the bath can and will be depleted rather quickly.

In any case, this still should not affect the drop in boric acid that you are observing.

-Dustin Gebhardt, CEF

Moen

Sanford, NC

Colleen

Hey...
Nice link shared...
Its a great site for getting the information...
Thank you for sharing this great informative stuff here...