Almajoja

Topic: Mirror polish stainless steel scratch and finger print protection??

Hi everybody,

I have a finishing problem with one of my projects. I have a flat mirror stainless steel sheet with a gold flash on top. The surface is very sensitive and I am looking for a way to protect it from small scratches etc. I have already tried CVD, thermolacquer (not sure if its called like this in English but the result was dust under the lacquer ) I am running out of ideas and I thought maybe someone here can help me.

Thanks in advance!

DustinGebhardt

Re: Mirror polish stainless steel scratch and finger print protection??

What are your requirements? Does it need to be electrically conductive? Purely cosmetic? How durable? Withstand temperature of ???

-Dustin Gebhardt, CEF

Advanced Manufacturing/Finishing Engineer

Moen

Sanford, NC

Almajoja

It needs to be strong enough for people to be able to touch it on a daily base. It has to be transparent and resist to natural temperature 50 c or so.

Thanks

DustinGebhardt

You mentioned CVD but have you tried PVD? It is a diamond-hard, clear coating. We use it on bathroom and kitchen hardware, where it never scratches.

A softer coating that may work is powder-coating or electro-coating. You can get very good clear protection with either of these. But just like any organic coating, the surface is "soft" and can be scratched.

-Dustin Gebhardt, CEF

Advanced Manufacturing/Finishing Engineer

Moen

Sanford, NC

Daniel

PVD is the solution